Truthspoon's 4D Portal.

Truthspoon's 4D Portal.

A forum where we investigate the nature of reality and stuff.... with the man they couldn't recruit.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Hunter S Thompson's lesser known Kentucky Derby piece

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
futureshock

PostSubject: Hunter S Thompson's lesser known Kentucky Derby piece   Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:36 pm

I've linked below. 

http://brianb.freeshell.org/a/kddd.pdf

It's one of my favourite pieces of writing by the legend who is the literal reason why I came down to London at the very last minute after a ridiculous chance encounter with a video of Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas which was actually meant for someone else and fell into my hands by complete accident.

I came close to mastering this style of writing but music led me down a different create path...I will return to it in future years though. And soon. The idea of gonzo journalism is to grab the reader and pull them into the whirlwind. Be unforgiving with relentless pace and high energy. Flaunt literary rules, for the better. And base it all on facts and your own observations, being as literal and bluntly honest as possible with selective grotesquery for effect. 

Another great short piece about a crazy and violent owl encounter from the Page 2 column, the last reporting he did before he "shot himself" (coincidentally at the same time he was talking about writing something "very big" about 9/11)

http://proxy.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?id=1177583
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Truthspoon

PostSubject: Re: Hunter S Thompson's lesser known Kentucky Derby piece   Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:59 pm

Great.....thanks Futureshock.......

I can't recommend the movie The Rum Diaries enough. Great story, Johnny Depp as Hunter S Thompson is great.... again....and directed by the man who wrote and directed my favourite movie of all time Withnail and I.

Fabulous film......brilliantly dark, cynical gritty and hilarious....all at the same time.... a very difficult feat to pull off.....

futureshock

PostSubject: Re: Hunter S Thompson's lesser known Kentucky Derby piece   Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:26 pm

I liked the Rum Diaries movie up until the end, where the film misses out about 100 pages of the book. I was in total shock. When I left the cinema I could barely speak. HST would never have allowed that, I'm amazed Johnny Depp was ok with this. It spoilt for me what was up until that point a solid interpretation.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Hunter S Thompson's lesser known Kentucky Derby piece
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You can reply to topics in this forum
Truthspoon's 4D Portal. :: Humour/satire/poetry/music/stuff-